House Republicans worked diligently in the 2016 session to pass legislation supporting the men and women who sacrifice so much to protect our country. Several laws will take effect on July 1 to benefit our Hoosier veterans:
- Senate Enrolled Act (SEA) 145: Allowing for the proper burial of deceased veterans who do not have living family members.
- SEA 295: Expanding the Military Family Relief Fund, which provides grants to military families in need, to all Hoosier veterans who served on active duty.
- House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1089: Determining the duties, standards and practices of veteran district service officers who help address individual service-related needs throughout the state.
- HEA 1313: Increasing access to programs benefiting veterans by including the military service of those who do not currently meet federal criteria.
- HEA 1359: Waiving the maximum hiring-age restrictions previously placed on veterans who apply to become police officers and firefighters.
- HEA 1373: Extending employment protections to National Guard members called to active duty.
- SEA 154: Increasing the funeral allowance from $4,000 to $8,800 for members of the Indiana National Guard who give their lives while protecting our freedoms.
- SEA 219: Expediting the issuance or renewal of licenses, certificates, registrations or permits to military spouses.
- HEA 1187: Establishing penalties for stolen valor, making it a crime to profit financially by lying about military service.
Our veterans and their wellbeing are a priority. House Republicans are committed to supporting policies providing service members and their families the care they have rightfully earned.