Since 2014, an average of 12 people each year in Indiana lost their lives in roadway construction zones, with 80 percent of those killed being motorists or their passengers.
This year, the Indiana Department of Transportation will oversee more than 300 construction projects. These projects total over $1 billion in capital investments to improve traffic mobility and safety and modernize dozens of interchanges across Indiana.
INDOT has several suggestions to keep both motorists and construction workers safe in work zones:
- Stay alert! Look for reduced speed limits, narrow driving lanes and highway you.
- Pay attention. Work zone signs will tell drivers exactly what to expect ahead.
- Merge early. If drivers merge as soon as they see signs, traffic will flow much more smoothly.
- Slow down! Don’t speed, there could be slowed or stopped vehicles in the construction zone.
- Keep your distance. Maintain a safe distance on all sides of the vehicle.
- Minimize distractions. The three Cs – cell phones, CDs and coffee – are the primary cause of driver inattention.
- Plan ahead. Expect delays during construction season and allow extra travel time, or select an alternate route.
Drivers can stay up-to-date on current construction projects with INDOT’s interactive online map or through TrafficWise, INDOTs Traffic Management Center which gives real-time traffic updates. Updates can also be found through Twitter.
We can work together to make our roads safer. Please don’t drive distracted and keep an eye out for our hardworking road construction workers.