In 2014, more than 400 were injured and 14 people were killed in work zones across the state.
April 9-13 is Work Zone Awareness Week in Indiana, marking the beginning of highway construction season. The Indiana Department of Transportation offers these suggestions to keep both motorists and construction workers safe in work zones:
- Stay alert! Watch for speed limit reductions, narrowing lanes, changing traffic patterns and highway workers.
- Pay attention. Work zone signs will tell drivers exactly what to expect ahead.
- Merge early. If drivers merge as soon as they see signs, traffic will flow much more smoothly.
- Slow down! Don’t speed, there could be slowed or stopped vehicles in the construction zone.
- Keep your distance. Maintain a safe distance on all sides of the vehicle.
- Minimize distractions. Don’t text or talk on the phone and avoid taking your hands off the wheel. Driver inattention is a leading cause of all highway crashes.
- Plan ahead. Expect delays during construction season and allow extra travel time, or select an alternate route.
Watch INDOT’s video urging motorists to avoid distracted driving here.
INDOT provides timely, accurate and relevant work zone information to travelers using message boards, the INDOT TrafficWise website, the INDOT Real-Time Traffic Conditions website and Twitter updates. You can also download the INDOT mobile app for free through the App Store and Google Play.
We can work together to make sure everyone makes it home safely. Please don’t drive distracted and keep an eye out for our hardworking road construction workers. Remember, they are working to make the roads better for you!