Nearly 200 communities across Indiana will receive state matching grants to improve local roads and bridges.
A combined $115 million was awarded to Indiana cities, towns and counties through the Community Crossings Matching Grant Program, which is now in its third year. The grants are a result of legislation passed by the General Assembly in 2016, and are awarded by the Indiana Department of Transportation based on applications submitted by local officials.
These funds help communities address their immediate road-funding needs, like road and bridge preservation, road reconstruction and intersection improvements. With construction season kicking into high gear, INDOT and the Indiana State Police are promoting Work Zone Awareness Week, April 8-12.
INDOT offers these tips to keep both motorists and construction workers safe in work zones:
- Stay alert! Watch for speed limit reductions, narrowing lanes, changing traffic patterns and highway workers.
- Pay attention. Work zone signs will tell drivers exactly what to expect ahead.
- Merge early. If drivers merge as soon as they see signs, traffic will flow much more smoothly.
- Slow down! Don’t speed, there could be slowed or stopped vehicles in the construction zone.
- Keep your distance. Maintain a safe distance on all sides of the vehicle.
- Minimize distractions. Don’t text or talk on the phone and avoid taking your hands off the wheel. Driver inattention is a leading cause of all highway crashes.
- Plan ahead. Expect delays during construction season and allow extra travel time, or select an alternate route.
INDOT provides timely, accurate and relevant work zone information to travelers using the INDOT TrafficWise website, the INDOT Construction Map and Twitter updates. You can also download the INDOT mobile app for free through the iTunes App Store and the Google Play Store.
We can work together to make sure everyone makes it home safely. Please don’t drive distracted and keep an eye out for our hardworking road construction workers.